The Trump administration has quietly expanded its Iran outreach to Austria and Greece as talks to end the war remain frozen and 20 percent of global oil trade stays locked behind Tehran's blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.
The Trump administration has quietly expanded its Iran outreach to Austria and Greece as talks to end the war remain frozen and 20 percent of global oil trade stays locked behind Tehran's blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.

The Trump administration has expanded Iran diplomacy to Austria and Greece as talks to end the war remain stalled, with tanker traffic through the Strait of Hormuz — which carries about 20 percent of global oil — still halted.
"Everyone is just urging both sides to stop this reckless game of chicken," said Ali Vaez, Iran project director at the International Crisis Group.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio met Austrian Foreign Minister Beate Meinl-Reisinger in Washington on Tuesday and held a call with Greek Foreign Minister George Gerapetritis on Wednesday. Both European ministers then spoke with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Thursday, according to statements from their respective foreign ministries. The State Department said Iran was a topic in Rubio's discussions but maintained he made no requests for either country to contact Tehran.
The diplomatic push comes as President Donald Trump faces political headwinds before November's midterm elections, with Vice President JD Vance saying the immediate goal is "keeping oil and gas cheap for Americans" — a task complicated by Iran's closure of a waterway that previously moved a fifth of the world's crude.
Austria and Greece are not traditional mediators in the Iran file, but both hold strategic relevance. Vienna hosts the International Atomic Energy Agency and was the venue for the 2015 Iran nuclear deal negotiations. Greece is a major maritime nation with significant shipping interests in the Strait of Hormuz and the Red Sea.
The Austrian foreign ministry offered Vienna as a venue for further talks and stressed to Araghchi "the urgency of restoring stability in the region through serious diplomatic efforts." The Greek foreign ministry said Gerapetritis "underlined the importance of freedom of navigation and maritime security."
Iran's foreign ministry framed the calls differently, saying Araghchi discussed "mechanisms for the future management of the Strait of Hormuz" and accused the US of violating the interim deal signed in June to end immediate hostilities.
Mona Yacoubian, director of the Middle East Program at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies, cautioned that such efforts fall short of formal mediation. "While the calls to both sides may entail encouraging both Iran and the US back to the negotiating table, such efforts fall short of mediation, which is a very complex endeavour and requires trust to be built by the mediator with both sides," she said.
Oil prices barely moved in early Monday trade as tanker traffic through the strait slowed over the weekend with no peace deal in sight, according to Reuters. Brent crude and WTI futures have been rangebound as markets weigh the risk of prolonged disruption against the possibility of a diplomatic breakthrough.
Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said the waterway would remain under Tehran's control until Washington accepted what he described as the reality of defeat. Foreign Minister Araghchi said Iran had not decided to resume talks with the US, adding that messages exchanged through Qatar and Pakistan did not constitute negotiations.
The USS Abraham Lincoln, deployed in the region since January, has now spent more than 240 consecutive days at sea — a record for the carrier — with reports of mental health and supply issues among its crew of more than 5,000 sailors and Marines.
The last time the Strait of Hormuz was effectively closed was during the Iran-Iraq War in the 1980s, when the "Tanker War" led to US naval escorts and a spike in oil prices. The current standoff has already lasted more than five months since US and Israeli forces launched attacks on Iran on February 28.
Trump's shifting objectives — from preventing Iran from building a nuclear weapon to reopening the strait to lower fuel prices — have complicated the diplomatic picture. The interim deal signed in June was meant to provide a 60-day window for negotiations toward a final agreement, but Araghchi said Friday there was no ceasefire to extend, arguing the US had violated the memorandum of understanding.
With midterm elections approaching and fuel prices a political liability, the administration faces limited options. Sanctions have been reimposed, but Iran has shown little willingness to compromise on its control of the strait. The expanded outreach to Austria and Greece suggests Washington is casting a wider net for any diplomatic leverage it can find.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.