The United Arab Emirates' withdrawal from OPEC on May 1 marks a structural rupture in the oil cartel, removing its third-largest producer and a critical source of spare capacity.
The United Arab Emirates' withdrawal from OPEC on May 1 marks a structural rupture in the oil cartel, removing its third-largest producer and a critical source of spare capacity.

The United Arab Emirates' withdrawal from OPEC on May 1 marks a structural rupture in the oil cartel, removing its third-largest producer and a critical source of spare capacity.
The United Arab Emirates formally left the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries after 59 years, a move that carves out 13 percent of the group's supply and is seen by analysts as a strategic realignment that strengthens its ties with the U.S.
"The UAE's departure is a structural rupture," said Emily Ashford, Head of Energy Research at Standard Chartered Bank, noting the exit removes a producer responsible for about 3.15 million barrels per day in 2025.
The decision, effective May 1, cuts OPEC's adjusted spare capacity from a pre-conflict level of 4.1 million barrels per day to just 2.8 million, according to Energy Intelligence data. The loss of the UAE's one-third share of that buffer leaves nearly 80 percent of the cartel's remaining swing capacity concentrated in Saudi Arabia.
While the immediate market impact is muted by ongoing Middle East conflicts disrupting shipments through the Strait of Hormuz, the withdrawal sets the stage for a medium-term oversupply risk. The UAE is expected to pursue an independent policy to monetize its reserves, potentially raising its output from its last required quota of 3.447 million to 5 million barrels per day.
The UAE's withdrawal was not a sudden decision but the culmination of long-standing pressures. Analysts point to a growing divergence between the country's ambition to leverage its low-cost reserves and the constraints of OPEC's quota system. The UAE's required production for May 2026 was set at 3.447 million barrels per day, well below its stated capacity ambitions.
"The UAE's calculus around pursuing a different production policy and monetizing its reserves had likely been developing for years," said Joshua Aguilar, Equity Director at Morningstar, in a note. He identified Iranian missile and drone attacks on UAE territory and maritime shipping as the "probable final catalyst" in the decision.
The move dissolves a 59-year membership that began in 1967. Unlike the 2019 departure of Qatar, a more marginal producer, the UAE's exit removes a co-anchor of the spare capacity buffer that gave OPEC its market stabilization credibility. The production of the UAE, at 3.15 million b/d last year, is greater than the combined output of recent departees Angola (2024), Ecuador (2020), Qatar (2019), and Indonesia (2016) at the time they left.
On the surface, Saudi Arabia's dominance within OPEC increases. With the UAE's 13 percent production share removed, Riyadh's own allocation of 10.228 million barrels per day represents a larger proportional share of a smaller group. However, this greater centrality comes with greater exposure.
"OPEC's spare capacity cushion, already near zero given current conditions, was primarily supported by Saudi Arabia and the UAE jointly," Ashford noted. With the dual-anchor structure gone, Saudi Arabia is left shouldering the burden of market stabilization alone, diminishing the cartel's ability to respond to future supply shocks.
The key question is whether the departure triggers a price and volume war. Russia has stated that the wider OPEC+ alliance will continue and that it does not expect a price war. Much will depend on how Saudi Arabia responds if, and when, the Strait of Hormuz reopens and the UAE begins to ramp up production toward its 5 million barrel-per-day medium-term target.
"Losing the UAE compounds OPEC's challenge to balance the market and increases the risk of oversupply weakening prices over the medium term," said Simon Flowers, Chairman and Chief Analyst at Wood Mackenzie. For now, Flowers believes the withdrawal will have minimal impact on market fundamentals in 2026, as Gulf producers will require months to return to pre-conflict production volumes even if the strait reopens.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.