A weekend missile strike on ArcelorMittal's Kryvyi Rih steelworks killed two workers and forced a partial production halt at Ukraine's largest steel plant.
ArcelorMittal partially halted production at its Kryvyi Rih steelworks in Ukraine after a weekend missile strike killed two employees and damaged the plant's main energy and blast furnace facilities, the company said Monday.
"One member of staff and one contractor were killed, while 13 other people were injured in the strike," ArcelorMittal said, adding that the injured are being treated at medical facilities in Kryvih Rih, a city west of the Dnipro river in southern Ukraine.
The attack damaged the site's energy-production facilities and blast furnace, prompting a partial suspension of production processes. Specialists are assessing the extent of the damage and considering possibilities for restoring operations, the company said. Regional officials put the injured count at 14, with 11 hospitalized, including a 48-year-old man in critical condition. The blast also damaged 13 apartment buildings, a medical center, a high school and stores across the city.
The strike hits the heart of Ukraine's steel industry, where ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih is the country's largest producer. The plant previously suffered a devastating missile strike in 2022 that destroyed a rolling mill and killed one employee, and the latest attack raises fresh questions about the security of critical metallurgical assets as the war continues.
Production Risk and European Supply
The partial halt removes a meaningful slice of Ukrainian steel output from a European market already contending with tight supply. Ukraine produced roughly 7.5 million metric tons of crude steel in 2024, with ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih accounting for a large share of that total, and any extended outage could tighten regional rebar and long-product availability. The company has not yet disclosed a timeline for restarting the blast furnace.
ArcelorMittal shares slipped 0.08 percent Monday as investors weighed the operational hit against the broader geopolitical backdrop. The strike is the latest in a series of attacks on Ukrainian industrial infrastructure that have periodically disrupted output since the full-scale invasion began in February 2022. The last comparable disruption came in 2022, when the destroyed rolling mill took months to bring back online, and the blast furnace damage now threatens a longer production gap.
What's at Stake
For ArcelorMittal, the attack compounds the security and reconstruction costs of operating in a war zone, where the company has already absorbed losses from the 2022 strike. The blast furnace damage could take weeks to repair, and the company said further updates would be provided in line with wartime requirements. For European steel buyers, the outage tightens an already constrained supply picture, with rebar and long-product prices likely to face upward pressure if the halt extends. The incident also reinforces the risk premium attached to Ukrainian industrial assets, a factor that has weighed on investment decisions across the country's metals sector since the war began.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.